15 Culloden Park Road, San Rafael
6 Bedrooms 3.5 Baths 5,454 Sq Ft
Built in 1891, this grey-shingled Dutch Colonial with wraparound porch offers 6 bedrooms and 3 ½ baths (5,454 sq. ft. on one quarter of an acre per tax record). Rich in history and architectural beauty, the gracious home has been thoughtfully restored and upgraded with many modern conveniences. The peaceful, tree-lined street, gated yard, mature landscaping and original stone pillars make for great curb appeal.
The main floor consists of a grand foyer, living room, spacious formal dining room, sunroom/office, family room, eat in kitchen, butler’s pantry, laundry room and powder room. It features ten-foot ceilings and has a great flow for entertaining.
The second floor offers six bedrooms and three full baths including a generous master suite, a guest bedroom with en suite bathroom and four additional bedrooms with hall bathroom and linen closet. The large open landing with built in bench seats leads to the third floor with an additional 1,600 sq. ft. of usable space.
Two lower rooms (accessible from the backyard) were originally built as servant’s quarters and in modern times have been used as playroom, office, workshop and wine cellar.
The magnificent outdoor entertaining and garden space was designed by renowned landscape designer Scott Columbo and boasts French limestone, an elegant serving room, out door fireplace, built in barbeque grill, custom spa and hand carved cisterns.
Located in the flats of the desirable Forbes neighborhood, 15 Culloden Park Road is just around the corner from Marin Academy and downtown San Rafael’s many shops and restaurants. It offers great weather and an easy commute.
During the major remodel of 1985, the home was taken down to the studs and new electrical, plumbing, sheet rock, sheer walls, bracing, leveling, insulation, zoned water heaters, phone and cable lines were installed. The kitchen was redesigned by Al Lamperti with Wood Mode cabinetry, large island and built in workspace. A new foundation went in under the kitchen and a detached two-car garage was built.
In 2010, the master suite and hall bath were redesigned by John Wheatman of SF. The master bath is done in limestone and features a glass enclosed shower, Bain Ultra air jet tub, two separate vanities, Altmans fixtures and Toto toilet. The hall bath features a huge glass enclosed shower, double vanity with esmerelda granite slab top, Altmans fixtures, slate floor and Toto toilet.
ADDITIONAL UPGRADES INCLUDE:
- Zoned heating with two new furnaces installed in 2014
- Energy efficient water heater system installed for the second floor in 2010
- Sub Zero refrigerator, Bosch double ovens and dishwasher, Thermador range-2009
- Pella and Marvin windows
- Plantation shutters and Conrad shades
- Sound system in Living Room, Dining Room, Family Room and outdoors
- Security system
- Irrigation system (MMWD approved water wise efficient low flow drip system with MP3 rotator heads and professional grade automatic clock)
ORIGINAL ITEMS AND DESIGN DETAILS THROUGHOUT THE HOME INCLUDE:
- Fireplaces in living room, dining room and master bedroom
- Pocket doors and hardware
- Solid redwood inside doors
- White oak floors
- Lights and sconces (converted from gas to electric)
- Diamond paned windows and hardware
- Laundry chute
- Built in bench seats (some cedar lined)
- En suite bathroom has original marble vanity top and cast iron claw foot tub
- Powder room has original marble vanity top
OF HISTORICAL INTEREST:
- The home, built for George and Belle Pinckard, is one of the earliest homes on Culloden Park and originally sat on 40 acres.
- The current owners are only the 3rd owner of the house in 123 years.